Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The thing about Serving

This entry will be long, beware


Looking back, i kind of like the time where i was serving my NS. For those who don't live in this part of the world, NS refers to National Service. In my country, young men(some refer to as Old Boys) are enlisted into the army at the age of 16.5-20 to serve the country. The ladies? Well, they get to advance on in life by pursuing their studies or starting their jobs/career, thats a 2-2.5years headstart. In return, the men get slightly more starting salary than the girls as compensation, some companys recognise NS as "work experience"... Hah

Depending on certain factors and urban legend, one gets posted into the Army, Police or Civil Defence, some are totally off the record, but that is a very very small amount..

Aniways, back to my service. I had always held a positive attitude towards NS, it was something to be expected, it was something to look forward to.

The first 3 months of NS made me tougher.. from a weakling who cannot pull myself up beyond the bar, i was able to hit 6. I was trained to fire a rifle, i am confident that i can take down an enemy with my bullet(provided he is 300m away). It taught me lots about the lives of other people and how much tolerance(or lack of) people can show to the weak.

The next 9 months showed me that the world is big, and there are many mountains taller than me, although i consider myself already quite tall. That i am only me, and to improve, i need to be more, get better.

I also learnt that hardwork and discipline did not always have its returns. Just like the working world, what you learnt for 9 months can be of little significance when duty calls, that what is needed for the next 16months can be learnt in a month or two.

Over the next few months, i worked hard to establish myself as a capable worker and trustworthy colleague, i dare say that i can be proud of what i have done during my service and the knowledge, skills and good practices i left behind. The great friendships and working relationships will form part of the wonderful memories of my service.

Now that my service has ended and i am now submerged into working life and the responsibilities of an adult. I am often faced with numerous questions and decisions to make. So much dreams to fulfill, so little time and resources. Fear can be a crippling emotion, as one wrong step could lead to many more, maybe that is the reason decisions are being held back.



Planning about life is more than just living

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home