Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The thing about Desensitisation

Have you heard about Desensitisation? More specifically known as Systematic Desensititsation.

Let me explain in layman's terms what the Desensitisation means.. it is a procedure whereby you expose a person to specific situation and objects in hope of slowly having the person accept/overcome the situation or object.

For example, if i am scared of cockroaches(actually i really am), we can start by getting me to know how i can do deep breathing to control my fear and anxiety. Having done that, we are proceed to show me some pictures of cockroaches from a distance for a short period.

The process is repeated gradually with more pictures of cockroaches until a level in which i can be comfortable with, then eventually, i should be comfortable enough to have a captured cockroach put before me(in its container no doubt), till then, i should already be less fear or disgusted with the cockroach...

In the long term, i would be perfectly fine with meeting cockroaches, i could even keep them as pets or bedside buddies(ok, i was kidding on the latter)..

This is the process of Desensitisation in process, what applied to me and the cockroach, can actually apply to anyone who does it correctly. The thing is, i have not tried it myself yet..



Have you desensitise your fears yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home